The National Hurricane Center has issued an advisory regarding a potential tropical cyclone expected to reach the southern Cabo Verde islands during the evening and night Friday, August 31, 2018. There is a high chance of heavy rains, especially on the islands of Santiago, Fogo, and Brava. The system could produce high rainfall accumulations across the southern/Sotavento Cabo Verde Islands. These rains could produce life-threatening flash floods. Winds associated with tropical storm conditions are expected in the southern Cabo Verde Islands later today and tonight.
Actions to Take:
- Seek secure shelter in preparation for the storm.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid driving at night as road conditions may be hazardous.
- Ensure that you have an adequate supply of food and water.
- Prepare for possible power outages.
- Prepare for the possibility of delayed or cancelled flights and ferry transport.
U.S. Embassy Praia
Rua Abilio Macedo 6
Praia, Cape Verde
Embassy website: https://cv.usembassy.gov/
After hours emergency line: (+238) 991-3325
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates