Important information for regarding COVID-19: As of March 19, 2020, the United States Embassy in Cabo Verde is cancelling routine American Citizen Services, immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments. We will resume routine services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time and will be in contact with applicants already scheduled. The nonimmigrant visa fee is valid and may be used for a visa application in the country where it was purchased within one year of the date of payment. If you have an urgent matter and need to travel immediately, please contact PraiaConsular@state.gov.
Entry into the U.S. of non-LPR foreign nationals who were present in the People’s Republic of China, not including the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, the Islamic Republic of Iran, or the 26 countries that comprise the Schengen Zone within 14 days prior to their arrival at the port of entry in the United States is suspended, per Presidential Proclamation.
Please read through the procedure below carefully and note that all visa fees are non-refundable.
All visa applicants, except those listed below, must apply for their visa by visiting this website (https://ais.usvisa-info.com/pt-cv/niv) or through the assistance of a new call center at +1 703 249 4698 (in the United States), (+238) 988 1822 or (+238) 988 183 in Cape Verde, or using Skype ID: usvisacapeverde.
For further questions regarding nonimmigrant visas, you may email us at PraiaConsular@state.gov.
How to schedule an interview:
- Complete the DS-160 online (https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/).
- Submit the application electronically.
- Print out the confirmation page with the bar code.
- Print the payment instructions (BCA).
- Pay the fee at BCA.
- Wait 48 hours for the data to replicate. Note, if you pay on a Friday, a holiday, or a weekend, you must wait 72 hours for the data to replicate.
- Go back online (https://ais.usvisa-info.com/pt-cv/niv) to schedule an appointment.
- Input the MRV ID number from the MRV fee receipt.
- Select an appointment that is convenient for you.
- Diplomats, Officials, and other travelers traveling to the U.S. on official business for their Government, United Nations and its agencies, or the World Bank – please follow the procedure below. Most applicants in these categories will be required to show a Diplomatic Note or Letter of Appointment at the time of your interview. Certain diplomatic passport holders are exempt from paying the MRV fee. To request a visa appointment and inquire about fee exemption you may email the Embassy directly at PraiaConsular@state.gov.
- Diplomatic passport-holders traveling to the U.S. for personal business/tourism travel – please follow the procedure below. You may be asked to present a Diplomatic Note at the time of your visa interview. To request a visa appointment and inquire about fee exemption you may email the Embassy directly at PraiaConsular@state.gov.
- Exchange Visitors officially sponsored by the U.S. Government – please follow the procedure here by scrolling down to the topic, “Procedure for Exchange Visitors officially sponsored by the U.S. Government.” To find out if you are exempt from paying the MRV fee, scan a copy of your DS-2019 and send it to PraiaConsular@state.gov. If you are exempt, consular staff will assist you by making a visa appointment. All others must pay the MRV fee and schedule an appointment online.
Rescheduling an Appointment
If you need to change or cancel your appointment, you must use the online system (https://ais.usvisa-info.com/pt-cv/niv). The Embassy cannot change appointment dates for you.
On the day of your scheduled interview, please arrive at the Embassy at the time designated on your appointment confirmation.
You will be required to pass through a security screening before entering the Consular Section waiting room. You will not be allowed to bring a cell phone or other electronic device into the waiting room and the Embassy will not hold your phone for you. Please make arrangements for someone to hold you phone for you outside the Embassy or leave your phone at home the day of your interview.
The Consular Section makes every effort to minimize wait times on the day of an applicant’s interview. However, given the volume of visa applicants seen on a typical interview day, you can expect to wait before you are called up for an interview with the Consul. The Embassy recommends you do not schedule other important business on the morning of your visa interview.
At the time of your interview the Consul will ask you a series of questions about your travel plans, employment, family situation, and past travel. These questions are designed to assess your eligibility for the particular class of visa for which you are applying. It is critical that you answer questions truthfully. If you are found to lie during your interview or provide fraudulent documentation, you will jeopardize your ability to receive a visa in the future.
At the end of your interview the Consul will tell you whether or not you are eligible to receive a visa. Given the volume of visa applicants on an interview day there will not be time for a full discussion of the Consul’s decision. If you are refused a visa you will be given a letter detailing the section of law concerned.
Picking Up a Visa
An issued visa is typically available for pick-up the Friday following a scheduled interview. For example, if you are interviewed Tuesday morning and are to be issued a visa, you can expect to pick-up your passport and visa on Friday afternoon at 3:00 PM. The specific pick-up date and time will be communicated to you at your interview.
The Consular Section is not able to accommodate requests for same-day visa issuance and will only provide expedited visa service in truly exigent circumstances. Please plan ahead and apply for your visa with sufficient time before your anticipated travel.
Parking at the Embassy
The U.S. Embassy in Praia does not provide parking facilities to members of the public seeking consular services. The Embassy strongly recommends that those seeking consular services plan to utilize public parking or arrive by taxi.