Immigrant Visas: Returning Resident Visa

A permanent resident (called lawful permanent resident or LPR) or conditional resident (CR) who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence.  You can learn more about Returning Resident Visas on

If you believe you are eligible to return to the United States as a returning permanent resident but do not hold a valid legal permanent residency “Green Card” or other approved travel document, please contact the Consular Section at to ask for assistance. Attempting to travel to the United States without valid proof of residency may result in your being denied boarding on U.S.-bound flights or entry at the U.S. border.