When a child is born overseas to an American citizen parent or parents, the child may be entitled to a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and a U.S. passport.  The fee for a CRBA is US $100 (with an additional passport fee of US $115 if also applying for a passport).  Because this type of consular service is often time-consuming, parents should schedule an appointment for this service, and fill out the forms as completely as possible in advance.

To request a CRBA appointment during American Citizen Service hours at the Embassy (every Wednesday at 8 a.m.) please make an appointment online. Please note that requests for same-day appointments cannot be accommodated.

Requirements for CRBA Interview:

  • Personal appearance of the child and both parents;
  • An original copy of the child’s birth certificate;
  • Passports or Government-issued IDs of both parents;
  • Original or certified copy of the parents’ marriage certificate and/or proof of the termination of any previous marriages (death or divorce certificates);
  • If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, U.S. law requires that he or she must present evidence of his or her physical presence in the U.S. for a requisite length of time to transmit citizenship (normally five years, evidence may include transcripts, medical records, tax documents, etc.);
  • Two photographs (2″ square) of the child;
  • CRBA fee of US $100;
  • Passport fee of US $115, (passport is optional)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad Form (DS-2029);
  • First-time passport application form (DS-11); and
  • Application for Social Security number (SS-5), if you wish to request a Social Security number for the child.


(Updated January 2020)