Emergency Financial Assistance

Americans who find themselves destitute in Cabo Verde may request the assistance of the Embassy to communicate with family or to return to the United States. Consular officers have no funds available for welfare services because the United States Congress does not provide funds to give or loan to United States citizens in need in foreign countries. With your permission, the Embassy can call your family and friends to explain how money can be sent to you from the United States.  You will need to complete a Privacy Act Waiver (PDF – 28kb) first.  If no other resources are available, citizens can apply for a repatriation loan to purchase a one-way ticket directly back to the United States. In these cases citizens will have to sign a promissory note agreeing to repay the loan to the United States Government.