Report Birth Abroad

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  A CRBA application must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth if they wish to transmit their U.S. citizenship.  Parents may apply for a first-time U.S. passport (Form DS-11) and a U.S. Social Security number (Form SS-5) for their child at the same time as applying for the CRBA.  A child born overseas to one or more U.S. citizen parents must have a CRBA as evidence of U.S. citizenship to apply for a U.S. passport.

For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please contact the Embassy at for assistance.

To request an appointment, please email and include in the subject line “Request for CRBA appointment (Name of your child)”. The consular section will provide detailed instructions upon receipt of your request. Given the detailed paperwork requirements, we require that parents email the completed, unsigned Form DS-2029 (application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad) application and photocopies of your supporting documents to  Your application will not be adjudicated at that time, but we will notify you if your Form DS-2029 is incomplete or if you need to bring additional documentation to your interview.  The fee for a CRBA is US $100 (with an additional passport fee of US $135 if also applying for a passport).  All fees are nonrefundable.