Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)


As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.  Please review the subsequent pages on how to Report Birth Abroad, Eligibility for a CRBA, and Transmission of Citizenship for detailed instructions.

(Updated February 2021)