The U.S. Embassy in Praia advises U.S. citizens there has been an increase in violent crime. There have been several armed robberies and homicides reported in Praia in the last 60 days.
Actions to Take:
- Maintain vigilance and be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/expats.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Report crimes to local police at 132 (the local equivalent of 911).
For assistance contact:
U.S. Embassy Praia, Cabo Verde
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates