U.S. Embassy Praia, Cabo Verde (March 28, 2020)
Message for U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Praia Continues to Explore All U.S. Repatriation Options
Location: Praia, Cabo Verde
Event: Message for U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Praia Continues to Explore All U.S. Repatriation Options
Effective March 19, the Government of Cabo Verde suspended all commercial international travel into and out of Cabo Verde, and on March 27 the government announced severe restrictions on all air and maritime inter-island connections. These measures are currently scheduled to remain in place through April 17.
We recognize this has been a challenging period for many of our fellow Americans, particularly those seeking to depart Cabo Verde. Thus far U.S. Embassy Praia has organized two charter repatriation flights to the United States, both of which were sold out, including the March 28 flight from Praia. These flights have enabled 362 U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents (LPRs) to safely return to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Praia continues to explore all options for additional charter repatriations to the United States. If another charter repatriation can be arranged, the details will be shared as soon as they are available via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is the Embassy’s primary means for communicating this information with American citizens, as well as on the Embassy’s internet site and Facebook page. We urge any U.S. citizen or LPR seeking assistance to return to the United States to enroll in STEP as soon as possible, or ensure that their current enrollment remains up to date, so that they have access to the latest information as quickly as possible.
Effective March 19, 2020, U.S. Embassy Praia has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information or contact us at PraiaConsular@state.gov.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice (“Avoid Nonessential Travel—Widespread Ongoing Transmission”).
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates from the Embassy.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Consider What the U.S. Government Can and Can’t for Citizens in a Crisis.
- View President Trump’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airline, cruise line, or travel operator regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Cabo Verde.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444