U.S. Embassy Praia, Cabo Verde (March 26, 2020)
Message for U.S. Citizens: Special Flight Leaving on March 28 to the United States
Location: Praia, Cabo Verde
Event: Special Flight Leaving on March 28 to the United States
Effective March 19, the Government of Cabo Verde announced the closure of all international travel into and out of Cabo Verde. We recognize this has been a challenging period for many of our fellow Americans, particularly those of you seeking to depart Cabo Verde.
U.S. Embassy Praia has coordinated a commercial charter repatriation flight for Saturday, March 28. The flight will board ticketed passengers in Praia only and arrive at Boston Logan Airport.
The cost of each of the remaining tickets is 120,000 CVE or approximately $1,225 USD per person. All passengers will need to pay for the cost directly with the agency organizing the flight. Travelers will be responsible for any arrangements or costs (lodging, onward destination or local transportation, etc.) beyond the initial destination in the United States.
The cost of these tickets is lower than previously sold tickets as these passengers will only be allowed to board with one (1) personal item (such as a purse or small backpack) and one (1) carry-on bag. The carry-on bag must fit into the overhead compartment and weigh no more than 8 kgs. Due to strict weight limitations, no further checked baggage can be allowed.
The flight is currently scheduled to depart Praia (RAI) at 09:00 and arrive at 16:40 at Boston Logan (BOS). While there is a scheduled refueling stop at Ponta Delgada (PDL), passengers will not be allowed to disembark at this location. Please note that exact departure and arrival times and routing are subject to change.
Due to the nature of this flight and the COVID-19 pandemic, no meal service will be provided on board. This is to ensure the health and safety of both crew members and passengers, and these are the same procedures other airlines are following globally with repatriation flights.
Tickets are available for sale from Girassol Tours. Tickets must be purchased in person with cash only at Girassol Tours, located on Rua Abilio de Macedo next to the U.S. Embassy in Praia. The agency can also be contacted by phone at +238 973 4577 / +238 980 6488 / +238 261 4440 / +238 261 2876.
Girassol Tours will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 26 and Friday, March 27.
Effective March 19, 2020, U.S. Embassy Praia has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our websitefor additional information or contact us at PraiaConsular@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates from the Embassy.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Consider What the U.S. Government Can and Can’t for Citizens in a Crisis.
- View President Trump’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airline, cruise line, or travel operator regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Cabo Verde.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.