Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Praia, Cabo Verde (March 26, 2020)
Location: Praia, Cabo Verde
Event: March 28 Repatriation Flight Fully Booked, New COVID-19 Restrictions Announced
On March 26, the Prime Minister of Cabo Verde announced new restrictions to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the country including, but not limited to, the suspension of all air and maritime inter-island connections, with limited exceptions; the closure of all public services and public companies, except for essential services such as airports, ports, and hospitals; and reductions to local transportation services. These measures are scheduled to go into effect at midnight on March 27 and continue through April 17.
Inter-island travel will be highly limited after March 26. If you have friends or family to stay with, please get to that location as soon as possible and take all necessary precautions to stay safe.
Effective March 19, the Government of Cabo Verde announced the closure of all international travel into and out of Cabo Verde. We recognize this has been a challenging period for many of our fellow Americans, particularly those of you seeking to depart Cabo Verde.
U.S. Embassy Praia organized a second charter repatriation flight for Saturday, March 28. Tickets for that flight are now sold out. Given the newly announced restrictions, we are working to determine the possibility of a third repatriation flight next week and will announce the details if and when this flight can be arranged.
Effective March 19, 2020, U.S. Embassy Praia has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information or contact us at PraiaConsular@state.gov.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates from the Embassy.
· Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information.
· Consider What the U.S. Government Can and Can’t for Citizens in a Crisis.
· View President Trump’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America.
· For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
· Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
· Check with your airline, cruise line, or travel operator regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
· Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in Cabo Verde.
· Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Praia
Rua Abilio Macedo 6
Praia, Cabo Verde
Phone: (238) 260-8900
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Cabo Verde Country Information
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter