Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Praia, Cabo Verde (March 20, 2020)
Location: Praia, Cabo Verde
Event: On March 20, the Cabo Verde Ministry of Health confirmed a case of COVID-19 on the island of Boa Vista. Guests and staff at the Hotel Riu Karamboa will be quarantined for 14 days. The government announced that flights and ferries to and from Boa Vista are suspended until April 4. Ships will continue to provide the island with food and other goods.
Inter-island travel may be limited in the coming days. If you have friends or family to stay with, please get to that location and take all necessary precautions to stay safe. The Embassy is working on all available options to help U.S. citizens return to the United States. For individuals in Sal who are facing hotel closures, the Odjo d’Agua is accepting guests and can be reached at +238-991-0569.
Effective March 19, 2020, U.S. Embassy Praia has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information, or contact us at PraiaConsular@state.gov.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates from the Embassy.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Consider What the U.S. Government Can and Can’t for Citizens in a Crisis
- View President Trump’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Cabo Verde.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
U.S. Embassy Praia
Rua Abilio Macedo 6
Praia, Cabo Verde
Phone: (238) 260-8900