Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Praia, Cabo Verde (March 25, 2020)
Location: Praia, Cabo Verde
Event: On March 25, the Cabo Verde Ministry of Health confirmed a fourth case of COVID-19 in the country. This is the first case of infection in Praia and the first case involving a Cabo Verdean citizen, who has reportedly been in isolation since arriving in Cabo Verde on March 18. According to the National Director of Health, all four currently confirmed COVID-19 cases in Cabo Verde are imported; there are no cases of community transmission.
The Embassy is working on all available options to help U.S. citizens return to the United States, including a commercial charter repatriation flight that would leave from Praia, tentatively planned for Saturday, March 28. Every U.S. citizen will be responsible for paying for the cost of their own ticket. We will provide additional details regarding the flight and how to obtain a ticket if and when that option becomes available.
Inter-island travel may be limited in the coming days. If you have friends or family to stay with, please get to that location and take all necessary precautions to stay safe. For individuals in Sal who are facing hotel closures, the Odjo d’Agua is accepting guests and can be reached at +238-991-0569.
Effective March 19, 2020, U.S. Embassy Praia has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our websitefor additional information, or contact us at PraiaConsular@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates from the Embassy.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Consider What the U.S. Government Can and Can’t for Citizens in a Crisis.
- View President Trump’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airline, cruise line, or travel operator regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Cabo Verde.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444