2023-2024 Fulbright Foreign Student Program
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: July 31, 2022
How to apply: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2023
The Public Affairs Section of U.S. Mission Cabo Verde is pleased to announce for the first time the annual call for the Fulbright Visiting Scholars Program applications for the 2023/2024 academic year.
The Fulbright Visiting Scholars Program is an international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. Government and designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The Fulbright Visiting Scholars Program seeks individuals who have demonstrated academic excellence, leadership skills, and civic spirit.
In Cabo Verde, the Fulbright Visiting Scholars Program focuses on the academic and professional development of staff, junior faculty, and administrators employed in the following types of institutions: tertiary, research, or government. This includes and is not limited to junior faculty, research assistants, assistant lecturers, technicians supporting classroom instruction, administrators, researchers, and lecturers.
Awards of 3 to 9 months are offered for African university faculty or research institute professionals to conduct research in any academic discipline at a U.S. academic or research institution beginning no earlier than August 2023 and no later than March 2024. Applicants must hold a doctorate or equivalent terminal degree in their fields at the time of application. Preference will be given to individuals who have at least three years of university teaching experience and a productive scholarly record.
Program and Curriculum Development Grants:
Awards of 3 to 5 months are offered for African university faculty or administrators to conduct research in any academic discipline at a U.S. academic or research institution beginning no earlier than August 2023 and no later than March 2024. Proposals should be linked to professional duties and demonstrate how the scholar will use the knowledge gained to develop new courses, curricula, or other academic programs at the home institution. These grants are designed for university faculty or administrators with less experience and who may not have had recent access to research or instructional developments in their disciplines. A doctorate degree is not required, but applicants must hold a minimum of a master’s or equivalent graduate degree at the time of application.
- Cabo Verdean citizen or permanent resident and currently residing in Cabo Verde (Please note: Cabo Verdean nationals with dual citizenship from the U.S. are not eligible for the program).
- Employed at a tertiary, research, or governmental institution.
- High prospect of receiving study leave from applicant’s employer.
- Proficiency in English/successful.
- The ARSP is open to scholars in all disciplines and without regard to gender or age; however, proposals for clinical medical research involving patient contact cannot be approved under the Fulbright Program.
- Applicants for research grants must hold a doctorate degree or equivalent terminal degree in their fields at the time of application. Preference is given to individuals who have at least three years of university teaching experience and a productive scholarly record.
- Applicants without doctorate degrees but who hold a master’s or equivalent graduate degree are eligible in the program and curriculum development category.
- Applications for doctoral dissertation research, postdoctoral research immediately following the completion of a doctorate degree, or general professional travel, are ineligible.
*Important! National Service Personnel are not eligible.
ELIGIBLE FIELDS OF STUDY
All fields of study are eligible. Post especially encourages applicants in the environmental science fields.
QUALITIES OF A COMPETIVE CANDIDATE
- Demonstrated leadership qualities
- High motivation and serious commitment to completing the program and returning to Cabo Verde to apply knowledge at home institution or other institutions in-country
- Well-written, professional applications
- Clearly expressed reasons for selecting your U.S. university preferences, reflecting a thorough university search to identify institutions which are a strong fit for your academic, personal, and professional goals
- Strong preference is given to applicants with limited or no experience in the United States