U.S. Embassy Praia, Cabo Verde (March 29, 2020)
Location: Praia, Cabo Verde
Event: Message for U.S. Citizens: IMPORTANT ACTION REQUESTED for Those Continuing to Seek Repatriation Assistance to the United States
The Government of Cabo Verde’s current suspension of international travel into/out of the country and severe restrictions on all air and maritime inter-island connections are currently scheduled to remain in place through April 17. U.S. Embassy Praia is not aware of any future commercial flights to the United States during this suspension of travel.
The Embassy continues to explore all options for repatriating American citizens to the United States, including those citizens located outside of Praia; however, the current restrictions on inter-island movements severely limit our ability to assist citizens on islands other than Santiago. (Please note that the Cabo Verdean government has placed Boa Vista island under complete quarantine, and no one is allowed to travel to or depart from the island for at least 14 days.)
To help us better understand current needs, Embassy Praia asks that all U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) still requesting repatriation assistance from Cabo Verde to the United States to complete and submit this secure form. The important information we are gathering will inform planning regarding possible future flights.
Even if you have already contacted the U.S. Embassy or provided the requested information, we ask that you resubmit it using the new secure form.
If you have trouble submitting the form, please send an email to PraiaRepatriation@state.gov with the subject line “Return Travel to the U.S.” Please include the following information for each U.S. citizen or LPR seeking repatriation assistance:
- Full name as it appears on your U.S. Passport or Alien Registration Card (“Green Card”)
- Date of birth
- U.S. Passport or Alien Registration Card (“Green Card”) number
- Date of issuance and expiration of U.S. Passport or Alien Registration Card
- Email address and contact phone number
- Current location, including specific island in Cabo Verde
Interested parties should also verify that their U.S. Passport, Alien Registration Card, and/or other documentation are current and valid for travel. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information or contact us at PraiaConsular@state.gov.
We recognize this has been a challenging period for many of our fellow Americans, particularly those seeking to depart Cabo Verde. Thus far U.S. Embassy Praia has organized two charter repatriation flights to the United States, both of which were sold out. These flights have enabled 362 U.S. citizens and LPRs to safely return to the United States.
If another charter repatriation can be arranged, the details will be shared as soon as they are available via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is the Embassy’s primary means for communicating this information with American citizens, as well as on the Embassy’s internet site and Facebook page. We urge any U.S. citizen or LPR seeking assistance to return to the United States to enroll in STEP as soon as possible, or ensure that their current enrollment remains up to date, so that they have immediate access to the latest information.
Effective March 19, 2020, U.S. Embassy Praia has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our websitefor additional information or contact us at PraiaConsular@state.gov.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice(“Avoid Nonessential Travel—Widespread Ongoing Transmission”).
Note: This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. We will be sure to highlight any new information from previous emails.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive updates from the Embassy.
- Complete and submit this secure form for U.S. citizens and LPRs needing repatriation assistance from Cabo Verde to the United States.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Consider What the U.S. Government Can and Can’t for Citizens in a Crisis.
- View President Trump’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airline, cruise line, or travel operator regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in Cabo Verde.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Praia
Rua Abilio Macedo 6
Praia, Cabo Verde
Phone: (+238) 260-8900
State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter